EMN Ireland | www.emn.ie


Further Changes to the Employment Permits System

Date Published: 23-07-2013

Further to a review of the employment permits system in April 2013, the Department of Jobs Enterprise and Employment have introduced the following changes, aimed at attracting skilled workers to Ireland, effective from 22 July 2013:

  • Up to now, Work Permit holders on an exchange agreement/internship, and Intra-Corporate Transfer (intra-CT) Employment Permit holders on a one-year training programme, who wish to take up other employment in the State, had to leave Ireland and reapply for a new permit in respect of the new employment. As of 22 July such workers may apply for a Green Card Employment Permit or Work Permit Employment Permit from within the State, subject to the normal criteria.
  • Individual foreign nationals, rather than just their employers, may now apply for an Intra-CT Employment Permit. 
  • Non-EEA nationals who are already lawfully resident in the State and hold a valid Certificate of Registration (GNIB card) with Stamps 1, 1A, 2, 2A and 3 immigration permissions, may now seek offers of employment in all occupations, not just from the Highly Skilled Occupations list, and may apply for an Employment Permit, while legally residing in the State.

The Department of Justice and Equality (Irish Naturalisation and Immigration Service - INIS), in agreement with the Department of Jobs, Enterprise and Innovation, will pilot an Atypical Working Scheme in September 2013. Under this scheme the Department of Justice and Equality may grant permission to work in the State for short-term employment (less than 90 consecutive calendar days).

For more information:

See Department of Jobs, Enterprise and Innovation updated employment permits page (19 July 2013).

See INIS Atypical Working Scheme page.

More news


Back to top