This EMN Inform provides an overview of the applicable fees for issuance of residence permits to third-country nationals (TCNs) as of September 2014. It is based on information collected from 24 EU Member States and Norway.
The Inform particularly examines fees under a number of EU Directives, which are outlined in Section 4. Please note that Denmark, Ireland and the United Kingdom have not opted into the Directives stated in this Inform.
Key points to note:
- The fees that apply for the issuance of residence permits vary significantly across Member States.
- In 8 Member States, first permit fees are higher than fees for renewal of residence permits (DE, FI, FR, HU, LT, MT, PT, SK).
- Express issuance is available in five Member States for a higher fee (BE, BG, LV, LT, SI).
- Reduced fees are in place in the majority of Member States and Norway for children, students or pensioners.
- Some Member States have made efforts to cut red-tape.
- A number of EMN NCPs have confirmed that the fee levels do not differ depending on the duration of the residence permit (BE, CZ, EE, ES, HU, LV, LT, LU, NL, PT, SK).
- However, the period of validity of residence permits may vary across countries, which could limits the comparability of the fees.
- Only fees for residence permits are part of this Inform.