- Results of the recent Council of the European Union meeting on Justice and Home Affairs record that Ministers welcomed progress on managing migration flows as well as the successful launch of Triton border surveillance.
- Dimitris Avramopoulos has taken up the role as European Commissioner with responsibility for Migration, Home Affairs and Citizenship.
- Fabrice Leggeri has been appointed as the new Executive Director of Frontex.
- The theme for the seventh UNHCR High Commissioner’s Dialogue on Protection Challenges was ‘Protection at Sea’.
- European Migration Network (EMN) published an updated Asylum and Migration Glossary (3.0)
- European Parliament Policy Department “C”: Citizens Rights and Constitutional Affairs published two new studies on Humanitarian visas: option or obligation (LIBE/2014-023, PE 509.986) and on New approaches, alternative avenues and means of access to asylum procedures for persons seeking international protection (LIBE/2014-009, PE 509.989)
- European Commission adopted the Sixth bi-annual report on the functioning of the Schengen area (1 May – 31 October 2014).
- EASO published its Quarterly Asylum Report for the second quarter of 2014.
- Fundamental Rights Agency published a report on the Fundamental rights at airports: border checks at five international airports in the European Union.
- European Asylum Support Office (EASO) newsletter November/December.
- European Migration Network (EMN) bulletin (No. 9).
- European Parliament Committee on Civil Liberties, Justice and Home Affairs (LIBE) newsletter December.
- Fundamental Rights Agency (FRA) newsletter December.
- International Organization for Migration (IOM) newsletter November.
- Platform for International Cooperation on Undocumented Migrants (PICUM) newsletter December.
- Eurostat release showed that EU28 Member States granted citizenship to approximately 820,000 persons in 2012.
- Conference conclusions available for Fundamental Rights Conference on Fundamental Rights and Migration to the EU, Rome, Italy (10 – 11 November 2014).
- Conference presentations available for Missing Children Europe Conference on Towards a coordinated strategic approach on missing unaccompanied migrant children: A European conference on missing unaccompanied migrant children (4 December 2014).
- Broadcasting of EASO 2014 Consultative Forum.
8 October 2014
- Commissioner Malmström commemorated the Lampedusa tragedy.
- Commissioner Malmström issued statement on the entry into force of the Readmission Agreement between Turkey and the EU.
- Dimitris Avramopoulos was announced as new Commissioner-Designate for Directorate-General (DG) Migration and Home Affairs.
- UNHCR released Asylum Trends, First half 2014 Levels and Trends in Industrialized Countries.
- Amnesty International issued new report Lives adrift: Refugees and migrants in peril in the central Mediterranean.
- IOM released a new report Fatal Journeys: Tracking Lives Lost during Migration.
- European Network on Statelessness (ENS) launched a new report, Still stateless, still suffering – Why Europe must act now to protect stateless persons.
- European Migration Network (EMN) published a synthesis report on Migrant Access to Social Security and Healthcare: Policies and Practice.
- European Commission published a Handbook to help EU Member States take action against marriages of convenience between EU citizens and non-EU nationals in the context of EU law on free movement.
- European Commission, DG Home Affairs released two infographics on Unaccompanied minors in the EU and on Asylum in the EU.
- Platform for International Cooperation on Undocumented Migrants issued PICUM quarterly report for the period April to June 2014.
- EASO published Annual Report on the Situation of Asylum in the European Union in 2013.
- European Migration Network (EMN) bulletin (No. 8) May – August 2014.
- International Organization for Migration (IOM) newsletter August 2014.
- Platform for International Cooperation on Undocumented Migrants (PICUM) newsletter September 2014.
- European Asylum Support Office (EASO) newsletter September 2014.
- Fundamental Rights Agency (FRA) newsletter September 2014.
- Eurostat released Asylum applicants and first instance decisions on asylum applications: first quarter 2014 – Issue number 8/2014.
- 12-13 June 2014: Conclusions and summary of EMN Conference 2014 on Irregular Migration and Return: Challenges and Practices, Athens, Greece
- 15-17 October 2014: ECRE Annual General Conference and UNHCR NGO Consultations, Brussels, Belgium
- 3 – 7 November 2014: 2014 International Metropolis Conference: Migration Energy for the Planet, Feeding Cultures, Milan, Italy
- 10 – 11 November 2014: Fundamental Rights Conference 2014 on Fundamental Rights and Migration to the EU, Rome, Italy
- 27 November 2014: Public Policy Exchange: 5th Annual International Symposium on Preventing Human Trafficking: Prevention, Protection, Prosecution, Brussels, Belgium
2 July 2014
- European Commission called for clearer EU rules for unaccompanied minors seeking international protection, following a recent judgment of the Court of Justice of the EU.
- Commissioner Malmström issued a statement on the occasion of World Refugee Day (20 June 2014).
- European Migration Network (EMN) published A Descriptive Analysis of the Impacts of the Stockholm Programme 2010-2013. The report will contribute to the evaluation of the Stockholm Programme 2010-2013.
- European Commission published the Annual Report on Immigration and Asylum 2013 and an accompanying Commission Staff Working Document, which highlights developments at both EU and national levels.
- Fundamental Rights Agency (FRA) released a handbook on Guardianship for Children Deprived of Parental Care.
- European Commission published a Communication on Minimum Standards on Sanctions and Measures against Employers of Illegally Staying Third Country Nationals.
- European Commission published a Communication on the Implementation of Directive 2009/50/EC on the Conditions of Entry and Residence of Third Country Nationals for the purpose of Highly Qualified Employment (EU Blue Card).
- Frontex published Annual Risk Analysis 2014.
- UNHCR released Global Trends 2013.
- FRA launched a Handbook on European law relating to Asylum, Borders and Immigration, (jointly produced by the European Court of Human Rights and FRA).
- Fundamental Rights Agency (FRA) newsletter June 2014.
- European Asylum Support Office (EASO) newsletter June 2014.
- International Organization for Migration (IOM) newsletter June 2014.
- NORFACE newsletter June 2014.
- 2 July 2014: Unlocking the Potential of Migrants in Europe: From Isolation to Multi-level Integration, hosted by Public Policy Exchange in Brussels.
- 7 July 2014: The European Council on Refugees and Exiles (ECRE) and Irish Refugee Council (IRC) are hosting two events focusing on legal assistance for asylum seekers and unaccompanied children in Brussels.
- 7 July 2014: Launch event of the EASO 2013 Annual Report on the Situation of Asylum in the EU as well as the Meeting on the EASO Early Warning and Preparedness System (EPS).
8 April 2014
- European Commission Communication on guidance for application of the EU Directive on the right to family reunification provided for a more transparent and clearer understanding of family reunification rules and common standards at EU level.
- European Commission Communication on the EU’s Return Policy presented the progress made in return procedures and points to future developments and actions needed.
- Council of Europe adopted a new Directive on third-country national seasonal workers. The Directive harmonises the conditions of entry and residence, as well as the rights of seasonal workers.
- New cooperation agreement between the European Commission and Council of Europe on human rights, democracy and rule of law, commits to mobilizing capacities and resources to further coordinate the implementation of policy goals in the neighbourhood and enlargement regions.
- European Union signed a working arrangement with the Kingdom of Norway on its participation in the work of EASO.
- European Commission presented its strategic vision on the future development of EU Home Affairs Policies (Post Stockholm Programme).
- New European Migration Network synthesis report on the Identification of Victims of Trafficking in Human Beings in International Protection and Forced Return Procedures examines whether, and how, potential victims of trafficking in human beings are detected and identified in these procedures in (Member) State.
- Report from the European Commission to the European Parliament and the Council on A Smarter Visa Policy for Economic Growth and accompanying staff working document presents more flexible visa rules for the Schegen area in order to boost growth and job creation.
- UNHCR Asylum Trends 2013 showed that 612,700 people applied for asylum in North America, Europe, East Asia and the Pacific last year, the highest total for any year since 2001. The report shows how this is primarily driven by the crisis in Syria.
- European Asylum Support Office published a report on Age assessment practice in Europe.
- A new Migration Policy Institute Europe report, The future of immigrant integration in Europe: Mainstreaming approaches for inclusion, assesses the degree to which four countries—Denmark, France, Germany and the United Kingdom—have mainstreamed immigrant integration priorities across the whole of government.
- A new paper by the European Union Agency for Fundamental Rights (FRA) on the Criminalisation of irregular migrants examines measures in EU Member States to counter irregular migration and their compatibility with fundamental rights.
- UN High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) / Council of Europe publishes a report on Unaccompanied and Separated Asylum-seeking and Refugee Children Turning Eighteen: What to Celebrate?
- The Centre for European Policy Studies (CEPS) presented a commentary on The Social Impact of Migration and the Notion of Citizenship for the EU: Ensuing challenges and opportunities for the Union.
- Fundamental Rights Agency (FRA) newsletter March 2014.
- European Asylum Support Office (EASO) newsletter March 2014.
- International Organization for Migration (IOM) newsletter March 2014.
- 8 – 9 April 2014: European Congress on Asylum, Universite Libre de Bruxelles, Brussels, Belgium.
- 23 June – 4 July 2014: 10th Migration Summer School – Framing Migration Differently: From Implicit Problem to Implied Asset, Florence, Italy.
- 30 June – 11 July 2014: Odysseus Summer School – European Union Law and Policy on Immigration and Asylum, Universite Libre de Bruxelles, Brussels, Belgium.
- 30 June – 11 July 2014: EIPA Summer School on EU law and its Implementation, Luxembourg.
- 7 July – 25 July 2014: International Summer School in Forced Migration, Oxford Department of International Development, Oxford, UK.
25 February 2014
- European Parliament Committee on Civil Liberties, Justice and Home Affairs approved “New rules for the surveillance of the EU external sea borders”.
- European Parliament voted for “More rights and better working conditions for non-EU migrant seasonal workers”, including proper accommodation and a limit on working hours.
- European Commission DG Home Affairs and Belarus launched negotiations on Visa Facilitation and Readmission Agreements between the EU and Belarus.
- European Parliament Committee on Civil Liberties, Justice and Home Affairs back funds for asylum, migration and internal security
- European Asylum Support Office (EASO) and the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) signed a working arrangement to strengthen the cooperation between both organisations in the framework of the Common European Asylum System (CEAS) and the international law for refugees.
- Cecilia Malmström signed a Readmission Agreement and launches the Visa Liberalisation Dialogue with Turkey.
- European Commission published Report on the implementation of the Global Approach to Migration and Mobility (GAMM) 2012-2013.
- European Commission (DG Justice) published a report on the Evaluation of the impact of the free movement of EU citizens at local level including case studies of Dublin and 5 other cities.
- European Commission (DG Employment and Social Affairs) published a guide on the application of the ‘Habitual Residence Test’ for social security to help Member States apply EU rules on the coordination of social security for EU citizens that have moved to another Member State.
- European Commission (DG Home Affairs) published a new Infographic on Home Affairs in numbers which provides an overview of migration, asylum, Schengern and borders and security statistics as well as the multi-annual financial framework 2014–20.
- EASO released Quarterly Asylum Report for the third quarter of 2013. The report aims to provide an overview of key asylum trends by analysing data regarding applications for international protection made by asylum seekers and decisions made on those applications by European Member States and Associated countries.
- Frontex published Risk Analysis Network (FRAN) Report for the third quarter of 2013 for period July–September 2013.
- European Commission published its first progress report (COM(2013) 923 final) on the implementation by Russia of the Common Steps for visa free-regime with the EU
- European Network on Statelessness (ENS) launch a guide on good practices in statelessness determination procedures.
- European Migration Network (EMN) bulletin (No. 6) October 2013 – February 2014.
- Fundamental Rights Agency (FRA) newsletter February 2014.
- European Asylum Support Office (EASO) newsletter January 2014.
- Platform for International Cooperation on Undocumented Migrants (PICUM) newsletter February 2014.
- International Organization for Migration (IOM) newsletter December 2013.
- Outcomes from the high-level conference “Open and safe Europe – what’s next?” on future orientations and challenges of different areas of DG Home Affairs policies (Brussels, 29 – 30 January 2014).