- President Donald Tusk confirms that migration remains high on the European Council agenda at the opening ceremony of the Maltese presidency.
Reports / Studies
- UNHCR publish paper on Better Protecting Refugees in the EU and Globally.
- OECD release Perspectives on Global Development 2017.
- UNHCR, IOM and partners launch a new strategy and appeal to help respond to the Situation of Refugees and Migrants in Europe in 2017.
- European Migration Network publishes Resettlement and Humanitarian Admission Programmes in Europe – what works? EMN Synthesis Report and Inform.
- European Migration Network also publishes Return of Rejected Asylum Seekers: Challenges and Good Practices: EMN Synthesis Report and Inform.
Statistics and trends
- IOM: preliminary totals for all 2016 migrant and refugee arrivals to Europe via the Mediterranean Sea were 363,348 split almost evenly between Italy and Greece, with much smaller numbers arriving in Malta, Cyprus and Spain. Estimated fatalities and missing migrants reached at least 5,079 as at 06.01.2017
- EASO: latest asylum trends, November 2016 show EU+ countries recorded 75,844 applications for international protection.
- Frontex: total number of migrants reaching Europe by two main sea routes in 2016 fell by nearly two-thirds to 364,000 in comparison with 2015.
- Fundament Rights Agency (FRA): overview of migration-related fundamental rights concerns: December 2016 and December 2016 focus section on separated children.
- LIBE Newsletter December 2016.
- EASO Newsletter December 2016.
- PICUM Bulletin December 2016.
- FRA Newsletter November 2016.
- 10 February 2017: Odysseus Network OMNIA Conference – Beyond ‘crisis’? The State of Immigration and Asylum Law and Policy in the EU, European Commission, Charlemagne Building, Rue de la Loi 170, 1000 Brussels. Register on-line.