- European Council conclusions on migration (20 October 2016) included comment on a need for measures to protect external borders and tackle migratory flows along the Central and Eastern Mediterranean routes. The Council also called on EASO to ensure that the “asylum intervention pool” becomes operational; Member States to intensify relocation and resettlement efforts; reform of the Common European Asylum System and agreement on the “External Investment Plan”.
- European Commission marked the 10th EU Anti-Trafficking Day (18 October 2016), calling for increased efforts to eradicate trafficking in human beings.
- European Commission presented its first progress report on the implementation of the Partnership Framework with third countries to manage migration.
- EU launched a Mobility Partnership with Belarus.
- European Border and Coast Guard Agency, which will continue to be known as Frontex, is launched.
- European Commission reported on the progress made under the relocation and resettlement schemes and the implementation of the EU-Turkey Statement.
- European Migration Network published EMN Inform on The Use of Social Media in the Fight Against Migrant Smuggling.
- Frontex published Risk Analysis Network Quarterly Report (FRAN Q1 2016); Western Balkans Risk Analysis Network Quarterly Report (Q2 2016); and Eastern Partnership Risk Analysis Network Quarterly Report (Q2 2016).
- European Migration Network published Annual Report on Immigration and Asylum 2015: EMN Synthesis Report
- European Migration Network published study on Changes in immigration status and purpose of stay: an overview of EU Member States’ approaches: EMN Synthesis Report.
Statistics / Trends
- IOM: 319,711 migrants and refugees entered Europe by sea in 2016 through 19 October, arriving mostly in Greece and Italy. Deaths at sea so far this year is 3,654.
- EASO: figures on one year of relocation show nearly 6,000 applicants have been relocated from Italy and Greece under the EU relocation scheme.
- Frontex: number of migrants crossing the Central Mediterranean down 40% to nearly 12,700 in September from the previous month. The number of migrants arriving on the Greek islands in the Eastern Mediterranean also fell to 2 960, nearly 24% fewer than in August.
- Eurostat: number of first time asylum seekers in EU-28 increased slightly between first and second quarter of 2016.
- Fundamental Rights Agency (FRA): Monthly overview for August 2016 and Thematic focus: Family tracing and family reunification.
- PICUM Newsletter: October 2016.
- EASO Newsletter: September 2016.
- Fundamental Rights Agency (FRA) Newsletter: September 2016.
- European Parliament Committee on Civil Liberties, Justice and Home Affairs (LIBE) Newsletter: September 2016.
- 24-28 October 2016: International Metropolis Conference, Creating Trust through Wisdom on Migration and Integration, Japan.
- 26 October 2016: Migration Policy Institute event on Cooperation on Migration: The Role of the European Union in the Follow-Up to the UN Summit, Brussels.
- 16 November 2016: Public Policy Exchange Reforming the Common European Asylum System: Towards a Unified, Fair and Effective Policy, Brussels.