- Main results of the Justice and Home Affairs Council meeting (14 September 2017).
- President Jean-Claude Junker’s State of the Union 2017 calls for new policy on migration with an emphasis on returns, solidarity with Africa and opening legal pathways for migrants.
- European Court of Justice dismisses a challenge by Slovakia and Hungary against the EU’s relocation policy for asylum seekers, upholding the EU’s right to oblige member countries to take in refugees.
- European Commission report (15th) on relocation and resettlement and Annex – Relocations from Italy and Greece.
- European Commission report (7th) on the Progress made in the implementation of the EU-Turkey Statement.
- European Commission report (5th) on the operationalisation of the European Border and Coast Guard.
- European Commission progress report (5th) on the Partnership Framework with third countries under the European Agenda on Migration.
- European Commission launch a public consultation on lowering the fingerprinting age for children in the visa procedure from 12 years to 6 years.
- European Migration Network publish Illegal employment of third-country nationals in the European Union: EMN Synthesis Report.
- Frontex publish Risk Analysis Network Quarterly Report (Fran Q1 2017);Eastern Partnership Risk Analysis Network Quarterly Report (Q1 2017) and Western Balkans Risk Analysis Network Quarterly Report (Q1 2017).
- Migration Policy Institute publish policy brief on Engaging Communities in Refugee Protection: The Potential of Private Sponsorship in Europe.
Statistics and trends
- IOM: 125,860 migrants and refugees entered Europe by sea in 2017 through 3 September. This compares with 289,681 arrivals across the region through 3 September 2016.
- EASO: latest asylum trends for May 2017 show EU+ countries recorded 59 128 applications for international protection (18% increase from April).
- Frontex: In July, the number of migrants arriving in Italy through the Central Mediterranean route fell 57% compared to the previous month to 10,160. The number of migrants arriving in Greece by both sea and land routes in July stood at 2,300, down a quarter from the previous month. The number of detections of illegal border crossings in the Western Mediterranean in July reached an estimated 2300, more than four times the figure from a year ago.
- Fundamental Rights Agency (FRA): Monthly overview for August 2017.
- EASO Newsletter: August 2017.
- 18 – 22 September: International Metropolis Conference 2017 Migration and Global Justice, Den Hague, The Netherlands.
- 21-22 September 2017: The Estonian EU Presidency Conference on Migration, The EU in the Global Race for Talents: Challenges and Solutions in Strengthening the EU’s Competitiveness, organised by the Estonian National Contact Point (NCP) for the European Migration Network.
- 16-18 October: Annual General Conference of the European Council on Refugee and Exiles (ECRE) together with the UNHCR-NGO Consultations in Tallinn, Estonia.
- 6 December 2017: European Union Agency for Fundamental Rights (FRA) will host the conference Reality bites: Experiences of immigrants and minorities in the EU.
- 11-12 December 2017: Call for papers 7th Annual International Conference on Immigration In OECD Countries, OECD Conference Centre, Paris.