Tánaiste, Frances Fitzgerald TD and Minister David Stanton TD launched the Migrant Integration Strategy and the Communities Integration Fund.
The Migrant Integration Strategy sets out the framework for Government action on migrant integration from 2017 until 2020. The Communities Integration Fund will provide funding of a maximum of €5,000 to projects promoting integration and social inclusion among the migrant population.
The Strategy will introduce a number of measures, including:
- A 1% target for employment of EEA migrants and people from minority ethnic communities in the civil service.
- Monitoring current school enrolment policies over time to assess their impact on the enrolment of migrant students.
- Schools outside the established education system will be encouraged to network with the aim of providing information on child protection and health and safety regulations.
- Local authorities will establish networks aimed at reaching out to migrant groups to help them to engage with Government Departments and to provide information on their needs.
- Development of the second National Intercultural Health Strategy.
- Initiatives to address the migrant’s needs in relation to skills acquisition and labour market activation.
- Initiatives to encourage the business sector to play a role in promoting integration.
- €500,000 will be available in 2017 to local community-based groups to promote integration in their area under a Communities Integration Fund.
For more information:
- Department of Justice and Equality press release
- Migrant Integration Strategy
- Communities Integration Fund