Migrant Integration Strategy and Communities Integration Fund
Date Published: 09-02-2017
The Migrant Integration Strategy sets out the framework for Government action on migrant integration from 2017 until 2020. The Communities Integration Fund will provide funding of a maximum of €5,000 to projects promoting integration and social inclusion among the migrant population.
The Strategy will introduce a number of measures, including:
- A 1% target for employment of EEA migrants and people from minority ethnic communities in the civil service.
- Monitoring current school enrolment policies over time to assess their impact on the enrolment of migrant students.
- Schools outside the established education system will be encouraged to network with the aim of providing information on child protection and health and safety regulations.
- Local authorities will establish networks aimed at reaching out to migrant groups to help them to engage with Government Departments and to provide information on their needs.
- Development of the second National Intercultural Health Strategy.
- Initiatives to address the migrant’s needs in relation to skills acquisition and labour market activation.
- Initiatives to encourage the business sector to play a role in promoting integration.
- €500,000 will be available in 2017 to local community-based groups to promote integration in their area under a Communities Integration Fund.
For more information:
- Department of Justice and Equality press release
- Migrant Integration Strategy
- Communities Integration Fund